What do dirty clothes need? That’s right, a spin in our washing machines. Most of us think that washing machines get cleaned every time we wash our clothes in it. Well I guess a lot of us were wrong. This wonderful piece of equipment does need cleaning and here’s some washing machine cleaning tips we all need.
I mean, think about it. We wash dirty clothes in it. Due to the naturally hot temperature inside the machine, molds and mildews can form. Even our detergent residues can build up over time without us noticing it. If this is new to your ears, your machine definitely needs its much awaited cleaning soon.
What Is The Best Way To Clean A Washing Machine? (Natural Or Chemicals)
You might be asking… if my washing machine needs cleaning, what’s the best way to do it? I would say that the best way is something that is effective but easy to follow and not to mention, budget friendly. Are you ready for these Washing Machine Cleaning Tips?
White Vinegar. Yes, it turns out that vinegar is not only for cooking but also for cleaning. The acidity of vinegar removes residue build ups, and it can disinfect and sanitize as well. Amazing, right?
Baking Soda. This one works wonders in removing odors caused by the bacteria build up in the machine.
Remember not to mix vinegar and baking soda together as they will cancel each other out. Don’t worry, we will discuss further how we can best use it to clean your washing machine.
How Do I Deep Clean My Washing Machine? (In General)
It is recommended to clean your washing machine at least once a month. This will keep your machine in the best working condition. So how do we deep clean our machines?
- The Door/Seal – Start by dipping a rag in white vinegar and wiping it in your machine’s door or seal. For front loaders, be sure to also lift the rubber gasket and clean it with the rag or toothbrush.
- The Machine Drum – Fill your drum with two (2) to three (3) cups of vinegar and run a wash cycle. Choose the hottest and longest cycle.
- The Exterior – Clean the outside using a rag dipped in vinegar or dipped in water with baking soda.
- The Filter – Check the filter for clogged items and remove it.
How do you deep clean an automatic washing machine? (Intro for next two topics)
Automatic Washing Machines are great equipment. All you need to do is pick a program your type of laundry needs and push the button. That’s it. No need to do anything else. Moreover, automatic machines already have a self-cleaning cycle option. But it’s definitely not enough to deep clean it. So here’s some Washing Machine Cleaning Tips to match the type of washing machine that you have.
How to clean washing machine top loader
- Step 1: Fill your tub with hot water and add two (2) to three (3) cups of vinegar.
- Step 2: Let the machine spin for a while to mix the vinegar into the water then let it alone for an hour.
- Step 3: Soak the removable parts of the machine to the mixture in the machine drum.
- Step 4: Clean the outside using the mixture inside the machine or you could use baking soda and water. (Remember not to mix both, choose one)
- Step 5: Run a complete wash cycle using the hottest and the longest cycle option
- Step 6: Drain and dry the machine using a clean rag.
- Step 7: Clean your filter.
How to clean washing machine front load
- Step 1: Start with your machine’s door. Dip a clean rag in a vinegar and water solution (2 cups water, 1 cup vinegar) and use it to wipe the door. *** Note: If your front load has a rubber gasket (like most do), be sure to pull it to clean the inside with a toothbrush or a rug.
- Step 2: Fill the liquid dispenser with one (1) to two (2) cups of vinegar.
- Step 3: Run a complete wash cycle using the hottest and the longest cycle option
- Step 4 (Optional): After step 2 and 3, you can add a cup of baking soda to your machine’s drum and run another full cycle. This will deodorize your machine and provide extra freshness to it.
- Step 5: Clean your filter.
How To Clean Washing Machine Tub
Cleaning the tub is simple. As mentioned above, all we need is vinegar and water. If you have a front loader, fill your detergent drawer with one (1) to two (2) cups of vinegar. Then let it run a full cycle with the hottest and longest option.
If you have a top loader, fill your drum with hot water and vinegar (1-3 cups) mixture. Spin it for a while to mix the two then let it stay in the drum for about an hour. Run the hottest and longest wash cycle afterwards.
How To Clean Washing Machine Filter
When cleaning your filter, be sure to unplug the machine first. Afterwards, the first challenge is to locate it. For most machines, it is at the back near the bottom of your machine. But if you are unfamiliar with how it looks, it is best to consult your manual.
Remove the filter and take out small objects that are inside like hair or coins. Excess water might drip from it so be sure to have an old towel in hand. Soak the filter in a mixture of vinegar and hot water. But, it is still best to consult your user manual about your filter as it varies from one model to another.
So there we have it! Washing Machine Cleaning Tips to keep your machine in its prime condition. Surely, with regular cleaning, you’re in for the best laundry results ever!